Who We Are
Log Cabin DC is part of the national Log Cabin Republican effort to achieve fairness and equality for gay and lesbian individuals and families who simply seek to particpate in the responsibilities and privileges enjoyed by heterosexual Americans. To that end, Log Cabin DC:
- supports the repeal of the military “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy that bars openly gay and lesbian individuals from serving in our nation’s military;
- supports the extension of legal protections, through marriage or civil unions, to gay and lesbian families – binding them to the same responsibilities and duties, and extending to them the same privileges and benefits, as heterosexual married couples;
- supports the reform of Social Security to include individually-owned savings accounts, allowing all Americans – including gay and lesbian individuals – the opportunity to pass on their retirement savings to their families rather than forfeiting their benefits to the government;
- opposes efforts to write a restrictive anti-gay definition of marriage into the United States Constitution, thereby preventing the people of the several states from choosing to expand that definition through their democratically-elected state legislators and officials;
- works for the election of inclusive Republican candidates, who support and encourage the “big tent” philosophy of the Republican Party, to federal and local offices.
The District of Columbia Chapter of the Log Cabin Republicans has lively monthly meetings, important guest speakers, and fabulous social events.